Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Old Man eventing

    My first eventing experience was on my aunts horse that I was ridding. He is Marys Brenin, at the time that I got him he was 23 or so. He had done EVERYTHING. He did combined driving( did vary well with his now deceased brother Marys St.Patrick), welsh cob breed circuit, hunters, dressage and with me contesting and eventing. He was a old type cob, meaning he had HUGE legs,feet,head,neck,shoulders, EVERYTHING.
                                                                             
Swaybacked old cob look
He was one of the best horses I have ridden at this time. He taught me more things then I could have learned on a horse that was younger than him. I never actually took him to a rated event because being as old as he was, he couldn't handle the xc as well as a others, But I took him to local schooling shows and we did pretty good. He went back to my aunts house two years ago and I still miss him. Just because a horse is old in age but still has the want and drive and is able to do things like eventing keep riding them. The more they are in work the longer they will be able to do things. 

1 comment:

  1. What a cute guy! I agree - if the horse likes to work and can keep 'em at it!

    ReplyDelete