Thursday, July 18, 2013

Summer heat and fly tips

First go enter Equestrian At Hart's contest here!!

I am going to share a few of my summer horsey tips on keeping them cool and the flys off for the most part.
My first tip is the get this product
I use this for EVERYTHING almost. I put it on the inside of their ears to keep the biting gnats out,  under their jaws, on their belly buttons, anywhere where the flies and gnats just keep biting aways and making them miserable
 My second tip is to hose them off, scrape them off then fly spray, good way to cool them off and get the flies.
Third tip is to install a fan in your run in ( where the ponies can't reach it to get hurt), in the summer if your horse isn't stalled in the daytime, they will be spending most of their time in the shade so if possible make it so they have someway to keep as cool as possible. 
 If you notice a horse showing signs of heat exhaustion, like colic symptoms, laying down and getting back up, generally looking uncomfortable, breathing heavily and having an elevated heartbeat, hose them off with cool water, scrape them off and repeat until they get cooled off.    

2 comments: