Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer, early morning rides and giraffe impressions

    In Indiana summer is, MISERABLE. It wont rain much, its never cloudy, the ground is cement, bugs are EVERYWHERE, it is humid, like so humid your sweat does NOT evaporate. I can deal with straight heat,not humidity  . If you don't ride before 12 you wont be able to ride until after 8.
    This morning I woke up and decided to ride the pony mare. We have recently been doing this, only not over jumps.
I decided that maybe I should try draw reins, I have never ridden her in them and you never know. WE HAD A BREAKTHROUGH!!! 
I felt like we looked like this, she was using her back and stretching down and while still going forward in a nice trot. Sometimes when she stretches down she stops pushing with her hind and gets all western pleasure joggy. Can't allow that. Anyway we only cantered a little but her downwards transitions where amazing to. It was like I was ridding a smaller warmblood, bendy,light and happy moving. It was great. Now I am not planning to ride her everyday with them. I know a lot of people think that draw reins are torture devices. They are not if used CORRECTLY. 

Anyway Rhyme is on only walk rides because he hurt his hip banging in on something. I am bubble wrapping that horse. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you seem to be using them properly, I loathe them for that very readon you mentioned...most people cannot use them

    Also I used to live in OH which is similar to IN and I can concure summers there suck! Its even worse here in MO. You have to ride before 9am or you are just dead. The humidity make sit impossible to function.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea,I know people who use them because they can't control the horse so they have them as tight as they possibly can, doesn't work like that.
      Yea no kidding, I bet its a ton and a half more humid there. You can deal with the straight heat, but when it is humid it is miserable.

      Delete